Sunday, May 23, 2004

Winner's World

Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if Kauravas had prevailed in Mahabharata or Ravana had successfully defended his Lanka or Hitler had emerged victorious out of the World War? Then will Duryodhan be the most honest man and not Yudhisthir? Or will we be worshipping Ravana instead of Rama? Or will Hiltler's name command the same respect that Winston Churchill's name does? I know, all these prospects sound truly horrific, but the point I am trying to raise is that this world belongs to the winner.
We always find that it is the winner of a conflict who is correct. Correct with his policies, correct with his ideologies, correct with his actions and obviously correct with the outcomes. The result of conflict acts like a tinted glass on the eyes of our perception, more so when the time for introspecion comes. Analysts and historians have a field day critisising the loser and praising the winner.
I believe that we have been witnessing a similar phenomenon after the results of the Indian parliamentary elections. All newspaper and news websites are publishing articles after articles containing praise for Sonia Gandhi and critisism for the BJP. Contrast this with the fact that not even a single exit poll before the actual exercise predicted Cogress's victory, and we get a better perspective of this phenomenon I have mentioned.
Before anyone starts pointing fingers, let me just clarify that I am also a fan of Sonia Gandhi. But I must confess that the elections results have affected me too. I respect her for what she is and what she has become. And I truly believe that the issue of her foreign origin is a complete non-starter. I also respect ABVajpayee, a lot. He is not just a politician but a statesman and a great one at that.
But we have to take the right perspective and not start trashing the BJP and its policies. We must also refrain from singing eulogies in the praise of Sonia Gandhi and company.
The best thing to do right now is to be cynical and adopt a wait and watch policy.

No comments: